Thursday, March 17, 2005

“The Problem With Portraying Jesus”

(Galatians 2:20)

Our friend Lance was faced with the dramatic challenge of a lifetime – his church was putting on an outdoor drama, and he was asked to portray Jesus. Well, for four nights, he was supposed to be Jesus. Now Lance had been in enough productions to know you have to really get into the person that you’re playing – and even stay in that character all day long. He tried to do that with Jesus. He couldn’t.

Which led to an exciting discovery. Here’s what he told me - he said, “Ron, I discovered I could not get into the person of Jesus. He would have to get into me. I can’t be Jesus”, he said, “No human being can. Only JESUS can be Jesus – and I would have to let Him be Jesus through me.” Lance tried it that way and the people who know him said, “That wasn’t you up there, Lance.” They were right.

Well, I'm Ron Hutchcraft and I want to have A WORD WITH YOU today about The Problem With Portraying Jesus.”

All of us who love Jesus have struggled to portray Him. And like my friend Lance, we’ve all failed. There’s a reason. This isn’t about you displaying the characteristics of Jesus – it’s about you getting out of the way and letting Jesus display His characteristics through you.

You’re the branch, not the vine. No branch can produce fruit by itself – it just has to stay so bonded to the vine that the life of the vine comes through the branch. Jesus said He’s the vine. So what are you doing trying to make fruit happen like some frustrated little branch?

Paul discovered the secret that you may need some 2,000 years ago and he talks about it in our word for today from the Word of God, Galatians 2:20. He says, “I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me.” Key words – “Not I . . . but Christ.”

The heroic missionary to China, Hudson Taylor, discovered what he called “the exchanged life” well into his ministry, and these words from “Hudson Taylor’s Spiritual Secret” may help liberate you from a lifetime of trying to perform spiritually. Listen to Hudson Taylor’s insightful words:

“I prayed, agonized, fasted, strove, made resolutions, read the Word more diligently, sought more time for meditation – but all without avail. Every day, almost every hour, the consciousness of sin oppressed me . . . I would begin the day with prayer, determined not to take my eye off Him for a moment, but pressure of duties . . . and constant interruptions. . . caused me to forget Him. There was nothing I so much desired as holiness . . . but the more I strove after it, the more it eluded my grasp.”

And then he tells about his breakthrough: “I have striven in vain to rest in Him. I’ll strive no more. For has not He promised to abide with Me – never to leave me, never to fail me? . . . Abiding, not striving nor struggling . . . trusting Him for present power . . . resting in the love of an Almighty Savior, in the joy of a complete salvation.. . . thinking of all that Jesus is and all He is for us . . . not a striving to have faith, but a looking off to the Faithful One seems all we need.”

Or as Paul said, “Not I, but Christ.” Or as my friend Lance said, “Only Jesus can be Jesus – and I would have to let Jesus be Jesus through me.” Maybe it’s time for you to give up trying to portray Jesus . . . to admit you can’t . . . to bring down the curtain on your frustrating performance. And to let Jesus play Himself – through you.

Excerpts are from Hudson Taylor’s Spiritual Secret, by Dr. and Mrs. Howard Taylor, Moody Press, 1932, pp. 157-161.

Copyright © Ron Hutchcraft Ministries, Inc. Permission to reproduce this material is automatically granted on the condition it will be used for non-commercial purposes, will not be sold, and will be distributed for the sole purpose of expanding the Gospel.

4 comments:

  1. Big Amen!

    "And then he tells about his breakthrough: “I have striven in vain to rest in Him. I’ll strive no more. For has not He promised to abide with Me – never to leave me, never to fail me? . . . Abiding, not striving nor struggling . . . trusting Him for present power . . . resting in the love of an Almighty Savior, in the joy of a complete salvation.. . . thinking of all that Jesus is and all He is for us . . . not a striving to have faith, but a looking off to the Faithful One seems all we need.”

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Trip,

    I thought we were to be partakers of this Life, meaning,that out of our union, this life the fruit of the spirit aka our Father's personality being seen, expressed in and through our lives?
    Where? In our soul!
    Meaning, I can only choose to either give into my fleshly thoughts or turn from them..HOW-WHY, because my life is not coming out of the flesh but from my spirit union in/with Him.
    I'm not trying to make something happen, the reality of Life is already there, IN MY SPIRIT! But, in my soul, (mind,will and emotions) I think everyone has one of these? There are choices to be made right?
    Or am I not seeing it is a "done deal" because it will take place by osmosis?

    "So what are you doing trying to make fruit happen like some frustrated little branch?"

    For me, when frustration is letting itself be known there is only one recourse, Life or death. I could be all wrong in this, but I see it "this frustration" being an issue of control. In the frustration/s, I can as a result of Him being my Only Life, choose to let Him have control right then in the moment.
    I have no power to change or alter how I am feeling, but I can bow, surrender to Him my Father and trust His life to bring my anxious soul into alignment with the abiding reality of LIFE!
    I see this all being PART of what it means to have Christ formed in us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Richard,

    Thanks for stopping by!

    I really do not equate "Life" with right or wrong choices. You see, I believe when we relegate "Life" to Do's and Don'ts, we have once again lowered the standard to "live" by, other than the standard of Jesus Christ.

    I conceive that everything we do as a believer, finds its origin in the "Divine Miraculous Life" of Jesus Christ. Apart from Him we can do nothing, not even good works with wonderful intentions. It is not Jesus plus me, It is Jesus plus nothing!!!

    I consider the only choice to be made is "resting" in the finished work of the cross. Whether we choose to rest and/or strive, the "Life" of Jesus Christ is the only True Reality. Everything else is an illusion, built upon by the "father of lies", to convince the people of God, the "much less" of the Gospel. "It is Finished!!!"

    Richard, I know this does not square with how you see things, and I can appreciate your position. However; I understand it as something that already is...... and each of us moving towards that "Reality"

    In Him, tripp

    Check out article by Major Ian Thomas at link below:

    http://muchmoreofjesus.blogspot.com/2004/12/exchanged-life.html

    ReplyDelete