Thursday, November 18, 2004

THE THIRD DAY I SHALL BE PERFECTED

by Doug Fortune

It is within the context of the 'word picture' of marriage that we also find Paul's famous discourse in Romans chapter 7. You know, the one where he says, "For I fail to practice the good deeds I desire to do, but the evil deeds that I do not desire to do are what I am [ever] doing... O unhappy and pitiable and wretched man that I am! Who will release and deliver me from [the shackles of] this body of death?" (Romans 7:19 & 24 Amplified Bible) This passage is often misunderstood and often even utilized for attributing what I would call 'double mindedness' to Paul, and therefore justifying it in ourselves. However, when we discover the context in which Paul speaks, it makes perfect sense. You see, the context for Romans chapter 7 begins in Romans chapter 1; "For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from FAITH to FAITH: as it is written, The just shall live by FAITH." (Romans 1:17) It is continued in Romans chapter 5; "Therefore being justified by FAITH, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ:" (Romans 5:1) The basic context of Paul's discussion in chapter 7 is that performance of the LAW cannot bring us to perfection or completion, it is only by FAITH. Paul even begins his discourse by saying, "I speak after the manner of men..." (Romans 6:19 KJV), or as the Amplified Bible states it, "I am speaking in familiar human terms because of your natural limitations." (Romans 6:19 Amplified Bible). So when we read, "For we know that the law is spiritual: but I am carnal, sold under sin. For that which I do I allow not: for what I would, that do I not; but what I hate, that do I. If then I do that which I would not, I consent unto the law that it is good." (Romans 7:14-16), we must understand that Paul is speaking rhetorically as one who is trying to come to perfection by performance of the LAW. Paul is NOT making excuse for this kind of double minded life! He is saying that this is the kind of life that the 'law-based' mentality produces- double mindedness. Remember, this is the same Paul that says, "For to me to live IS CHRIST, and to die is gain." (Philippians 1:21) This is the Paul that says, "For I through the law am dead to the law, that I might live unto God. I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet NOT I, but Christ LIVETH IN ME: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the FAITH of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave Himself for me. I do NOT frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain." (Galatians 2:19-21) When kept within the context of the rest of his writings, it is obvious that Paul is speaking rhetorically when he says, "O wretched man that I am! who shall deliver me from the body of this death?" (Romans 7:24) Paul was certainly not a wretched man, but he could see that that is exactly what a 'law-based' mentality produced.


(Find article in its entirety by clicking on the title)

No comments:

Post a Comment