Monday, November 15, 2004

When the Holy Spirit Convicts

by Paul Rupe

If you've been in church for a while I am sure you've heard the term "Holy Spirit Conviction." What exactly is that? I've heard many say that "Holy Spirit conviction" is when a person is convicted of his or her sin.

Jesus, speaking of the Holy Spirit, said in John 16:7-11

Nevertheless I tell you the truth; It is expedient for you that I go away: for if I go not away, the Comforter will not come unto you; but if I depart, I will send him unto you.
And when he is come, he will reprove the world of sin, and of righteousness, and of judgment:
Of sin, because they believe not on me;
Of righteousness, because I go to my Father, and ye see me no more;
Of judgment, because the prince of this world is judged.

The word "reprove" in this verse is the Greek word "Elegcho" which means, "To convict, refute, confute." Who is it that the Holy Spirit convicts? Let's look again . .

And when he is come, he will reprove the world . . .

What does the Holy Spirit reprove the world of?

Of sin . . .

Why does the Holy Spirit reprove the world of sin?

. . . because they believe not on me . . .

Jesus died for our sins. We enjoy the benefits of a relationship with God when we trust in Jesus and His finished work. The Holy Spirit reproves the world, in other words, the unbelievers of sin, and shows them their inability to measure up to the law of God. He convicts unbelievers of the fact that they have not trusted Christ and His sacrifice for the removal of their sins.

The Holy Spirit also reproves the world of righteousness and judgement. Let's look again . . .

Of righteousness, because I go to my Father, and ye see me no more;
Of judgment, because the prince of this world is judged.

So the Holy Spirit points people to a righteousness outside of themselves and their deeds. He testifies of Jesus' finished work. He speaks of judgement. The devil has been judged, defeated and destroyed in the work of the cross.

If you're a believer and you've been asking the Holy Spirit to reveal sin in your life, know this: You have been forgiven! Stop trying to find what Jesus has removed. Jesus has finished the work! Will the Holy Spirit lead you to the right behavior? Of course, but He will never accuse you of sin if you've trusted Jesus as your Savior - Jesus dealt with your sin once and for all. That was at the cross.

No comments:

Post a Comment