Friday, January 21, 2005

Does the Spirit Remain?

Just last week, I had the opportunity to listen to a teaching by a theologian I greatly admire and respect. I have had the privilege of knowing this Gentleman for some time and if I were to mention his name, I am quite sure many of you would know of him. With that said, and with honor being given where honor is due, I would now ask that each of you contemplate with me, the following thoughts/ideas regarding this teaching below and possible fallacies surrounding it.

The whole premise of this man's message centers around being sensitive to the Holy Spirit and being aware of the sensitivity of the Holy Spirit, thus ensuring that the Spirit/Dove remains and does not fly away or leave. One of the passages referenced in this teaching is John 1:32-33.
Joh 1:32-32 John testified saying, "I have seen the Spirit descending as a dove out of heaven, and He remained upon Him."I did not recognize Him, but He who sent me to baptize in water said to me,'He upon whom you see the Spirit descending and remaining upon Him, this is the One who baptizes in the Holy Spirit'."
The idea being conveyed here is the need to position ourselves in such a way, that ensures the Spirit of God remaining upon us, as it did with Jesus in the above quoted passage. Encapsulated within this thinking is the correlation that we can flow in and out of the anointing of God, by virtue of our actions/inaction, behavior, etc.... And I quote; "If we expect the dove of the Spirit to remain, it is surely essential that all we are does nothing to cause the Dove to flutter away."

Firstly, I know that the above synopsis is brief, but I believe you can begin to generally understand the implications of this particular message. It is not my intention to disparage this wonderful man of God, however, I humbly believe it is time to begin gently correcting inaccuracies and moving in greater progressive revelation which brings both truth and freedom.

It is apparent to me, that many Christians today still seemingly relate to God by shadows/types(unfulfillment), than by that which is real, Jesus Christ (fulfillment). Let me humbly explain. Everything in the Old Covenant shadowed or typified that which was to come, Jesus Christ. In the Old Covenant, we related to God externally, by keeping rules and regulations. ... It was a book religion, wholly influenced by the Letter of the Law. I truly believe, the deceiver has influenced many good Christians today, into embracing an illusionary world thwart with imaginary shadows and types of which will never bring ultimate fulfillment in any real sense.

You see, the message above still believes we have something to do with this "life" we live here on planet earth. Listen to a few familiar scriptures which begin to establish who we are and how we are to" live."

Gal 2:20 "I have been crucified with Christ; and it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself up for me."

Col 1:27
"to whom God willed to make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles, which is Christ in you, the hope of glory".

2Co 13:5 "....Or do you not recognize this about yourselves, that Jesus Christ is in you...."

Thought, if I no longer live but Christ lives in me and the "Life" I do live is by faith( pistis-faith,..important word) in the Son of God and if the "Life" I live is by Another, Jesus Christ which we know the Spirit has remained upon. What makes any of us believe that we have anything to do with the Spirit remaining or departing?....... We don't, praise God because Christ Jesus (Christos-Anointed) is my "LIFE"!!!! Child of God, do not be duped into believing that you have anything to do with staying (rightly- related) to God, thereby influencing the Spirit to remain. Jesus Christ fulfilled every requirement to keep you in right- standing (righteous) and He resides within you. He did everything you could never do, even on your best day. Aren't you glad you don't have to? It is Finished!! Believe it!! Rejoice!!

One scripture continues to reverberate in my Spirit as I have contemplated the above teaching.

Luke 18:8 "However, when the Son of Man comes, will He find faith on the earth?"


Notice it did not ask if He would find obedience........But (Pistis-Faith-Belief) which He so Graciously supplies.

Child of God, rest in the assurance and Finished work of the cross. It is no longer I who live but Christ (the Anointed) lives within me. The Spirit Remains!!

No comments:

Post a Comment